Worksheets and How To Add/Subtract in Scientific Notation(Start with How To Do Scientific Notation or go to worksheets)
Here is a simple way to add (or subtract) two numbers in scientific notation:
- Reformat one or both numbers so they have the same exponent.
- Isolate the two coefficients from the power-of-ten expression.
- Resolve the addition or subtraction of the two coefficients.
- Multiply the sum or quotient by the power-of-ten.
- Reformat the result so it has only one non-zero digit to the left of the decimal point.
Example 1: Add large numbers in superscript format 1.50x103 + 2.95x104
= 1.50x103 + 29.5x103
= (1.50 + 29.5) x 103
Example 2: Subtract small numbers in E format 1.23E-2 - 4.56E-3
= 1.23E-2 - 0.456E-2
= (1.23 - 0.456)E-2